Long Term Employee accused the Boss of Sexual Harassment
New Jersey – A sexual harassment lawsuit was filed in Ocean County (Little Egg Harbor) against David Johnson, former executive director at Little Egg Harbor Municipal Utilities Authority, for allegedly sexually harassing an ex-employee, Nicole Kelley.
Kelley’s allegations of sexual harassment by Johnson claim incidents not only occurred in the workplace, but locations outside the workplace including a night club in the presence of Kelley’s friends, and Kelley’s residence, unannounced and uninvited.
According to the lawsuit, another incident took place in December 2012. Kelley and friends were in Tuckerton at the Sea Oaks Country Club when Johnson allegedly approached her inebriated requesting to be her “sugar daddy” along with endless attempts to physically touch Kelley.
In addition to Johnson’s inappropriate behavior inside the Sea Oaks Country Club, he later trailed behind Kelley to the parking lot until he managed to “forcibly kiss her.” Even though Kelley declined Johnson’s persistent pursuits, he continued to chase after her.
Based on the sexual harassment lawsuit, Kelley’s consistent rejection to Johnson’s “unwanted advances,” allegedly led him to retaliate against her through “routine discipline” without a purpose. The hostile work environment caused Kelley’s doctor to place her on a medical leave.
Kelley’s Termination led to a 140k Settlement
Kelly became an employee at the Municipal Utilities Authority in 2000. After 14 years of working as a senior clerk who transitioned into a purchasing agent, Kelley was terminated from her position in May 2014 on the basis of allegedly “making unauthorized copies of Open Public Records Act requests.”
Johnson eventually retired as well in 2014 from his executive position where he earned $205,526 a year prior to the sexual harassment lawsuit Kelley filed against him. Johnson is currently 66 years old residing in Little Egg Harbor. New Jersey public records indicate he’s collecting a $103,051 yearly pension.
Both parties decided to settle this matter outside of court with a confidential agreement that the terms of the case are not to be discussed after the settlement. The insurer of Little Egg Harbor will pay $125,000 and the township will cover the remaining $15,000. Kelley will receive a total of $140,000 for her troubles, and Johnson receives a clean slate. Sadly, the allegations will be abandoned.
Although Kelley received a settlement from her sexual harassment lawsuit, there were no legal consequences that will prevent Johnson from allegedly sexually harassing another victim. Most people will see that Kelley received $140K and believe only a positive outcome can come from this settlement when in actuality, she has to live the rest of her life knowing the stress and sexual harassment she endured has been silenced by a dollar bill.
How can our Sexual Harassment Attorneys help?
The New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New York sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC are fully aware of the amount sexual harassment that occurs in the work place. Our adept sexual harassment attorneys are knowledgeable and well trained to help you and individuals like Kelley with their lawsuit both inside and outside of the court. If you are an employee in need of legal representation for your sexual harassment lawsuit, call the New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New York sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC. For more information on workplace sexual harassment read our Employment Law Blog.
New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia Employment Attorneys
If you feel you have been the victim of workplace sexual harassment in New York, New Jersey or Philadelphia or if your employment rights have been violated, then you should immediately contact the NYC, NJ, PA sexual harassment lawyers at the employment law firm of DEREK T. SMITH LAW GROUP, PLLC. No one deserves a hostile work environment.
Call today to schedule a FREE sexual harassment legal advice Consultation in NY, NJ & PA with one of our top rated sexual harassment attorneys here at the Derek Smith Law Group you can reach us online or by calling 877-469-5297. Our NYC employment law attorneys handle a variety of cases involving sexual harassment, racial discrimination, and other employment-related claims. We serve clients throughout New York, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. We also have offices in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Miami to serve you.
Make Sure Your Lawyers Have the Verdicts To Back Up Their Negotiations – Results Matter!
- $4.025 Million Jury Verdict Awarded in Employment Discrimination Case
- $2.5 million jury verdict awarded to sexual harassment victim
- $2.2 Million Jury Verdict Awarded to Race Discrimination Victim Against Well Known Glassware Company
- $1.6 Million Jury Verdict Awarded to Sexual Orientation and Religious Discrimination Victim
- Largest NY Verdict In Employment Law for 2012
- President Biden’s Executive Order, the COVID Vaccine, and Your Employee Rights - September 15, 2021
- Sexual Harassment and Retaliation Reach the New York Governor’s Office - August 4, 2021
- Top Reasons You Need an Attorney Review of Your Severance Agreement - July 29, 2021
- Why Don’t Most Employees Report Misconduct at Work? - July 20, 2021
- Get the Best New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near You - May 20, 2021
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020