Eric Heidrich sues Bellmawr for the Wrongful Termination of his Employment
New Jersey – In 2009, Eric Heidrich, former Emergency Medical Technician, started his full time employment in Bellmawr. In addition to his full time position, Eric Heidrich was also employed part-time as an EMT in Deptford. The lawsuit states that Eric Heidrich “experienced the pointing of a handgun in his face by an unknown man” during a work shift for Deptford in 2010.
This unforeseen incident led Eric Heidrich to his worker’s compensation from his part-time job in Deptford. Eric Heidrich remained employed at his full time job in Bellmawr while he received his worker’s compensation from his part-time job. A year later Charles Hannum, Eric Heidrich’s supervisor in Bellmawr, approached Eric Heidrich and informed him that he believed he was “mentally unfit and a liability” for his job duties. Although medical evidence and expertise proving Charles Hannum’s observations to be accurate was absent, Eric Heidrich was sent home immediately following that conversation.
Eric Heidrich suspension from his EMT position in Bellmawr occurred next due to the worker’s compensation he received from the township of Deptford while he was employed in Bellmawr, not claims of being “mentally unfit or a liability.” Charles Hannum was aware of this payout arrangement prior to Eric Heidrich’s suspension and he still proceeded to penalize him as if he recently discovered Eric Heidrich’s worker’s compensation payout. In the beginning of 2013, Eric Heidrich was terminated for allegedly being a “liability.”
How was Eric Heidrich Wrongfully Terminated?
There was no mysterious regarding the worker’s compensation payout Eric Heidrich received from his part time job in Deptford. According to Charles Hannum’s claim of Eric Heidrich’s suspension, it appears that he was cognizant of the payout Heidrich received and the payout was not grounds for termination. Later, Charles Hannum decided to terminate Eric Heidrich on the terms of being “mentally unfit for his duties and a liability,” without medical proof. Charles Hannum’s perception of Eric Heidrich’s alleged disability that labeled Eric Heidrich as a “liability” led him to wrongfully terminate him. Employers like Charles Hannum reserve the right to freely terminate employees for any reason. However, there are laws that prohibit discrimination against individuals with disabilities that will protect people like Eric Heidrich from wrongful termination. In Eric Heidrich’s defense, he was terminated for being a “liability.”
As stated on NJ.com, during Eric Heidrich’s wrongful termination, he acquired “monetary and personal damages,” according to the lawsuit. In exchange for the claims against Bellmawr to be discarded, Eric Heidrich was awarded a $32,500 check in the settlement.
How Our New York, New Jersey & Philadelphia Attorneys can Help?
If you have ever been a former employee who experienced wrongful termination in New York, Philadelphia, or New Jersey contact our wrongful termination attorney’s at Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC. We can provide any assistance you need to solidify your case. We understand that employers have an endless list of reasons to legally terminate their employees. In your defense, there are federal, state, and anti-discrimination laws that protect individuals like you from an employer’s termination “on the basis of race or color, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or some other protected category.” For more information on wrongful termination or workplace sexual harassment click here to read our Employment Law Blog.
New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia Wrongful Termination Attorneys | NY-NJ-PA
If you feel you have been the victim of wrongful termination in New York, New Jersey or Philadelphia or if your employment rights have been violated, then you should immediately contact the NYC, NJ, PA wrongful termination lawyers at the employment law firm of DEREK T. SMITH LAW GROUP, PLLC. No one deserves to be fired without just cause.
Call today to schedule a FREE wrongful termination legal advice Consultation in NY, NJ & PA with one of our top rated wrongful termination attorneys here at the Derek Smith Law Group you can reach us online or by calling 877-469-5297. Our NYC employment law attorneys handle a variety of cases involving wrongful termination, discrimination, and other employment-related claims. We serve clients throughout New York, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. We also have offices in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Miami to serve you.
Make Sure Your Lawyers Have the Verdicts To Back Up Their Negotiations – Results Matter!
- $4.025 Million Jury Verdict Awarded in Employment Discrimination Case
- $2.5 million jury verdict awarded to sexual harassment victim
- $2.2 Million Jury Verdict Awarded to Race Discrimination Victim Against Well Known Glassware Company
- $1.6 Million Jury Verdict Awarded to Sexual Orientation and Religious Discrimination Victim
- Largest NY Verdict In Employment Law for 2012
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022