New York City sexual harassment is more than a simple annoyance or nuisance in the workplace. Sexual harassment victims may experience a number of health problems as well as deep emotional trauma as a result. As many as 70% of women and 45 percent of men have experienced some form of sexual harassment in the workplace, said Amy Blackstone, a sociologist at the University of Maine. You are made to feel uncomfortable and intimidated at your job, which affects every area of your life. Do not hesitate to speak with an attorney in New York who handles sexual harassment cases if your workplace rights have been violated.
The strain on the family as well as social relationships are common, in addition to these devastating psychological effects:
- Depression. Self-doubt and blame can lead to depression and loss of interest in work or social activities. Victims may also experience a loss of self-esteem and feelings of powerlessness.
- Anxiety. Victims may feel anxious about going to work, interacting with co-workers or being involved in social situations.
- Insomnia. Sexual harassment trauma may lessen the victim’s ability to sleep or can cause nightmares.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Some have argued that many forms of sexual harassment meet the diagnostic Criteria A1 and A2 of Post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD. The stress of sexual harassment may cause you may re-live the trauma even when it is not happening, or avoid things or people that remind you of the sex harassment.
Those who have endured sexual harassment additionally might have to deal with the fallout from their colleagues. You may become the target of gossip and public scrutiny and defamation of character. You could be terminated, miss days from work or lose a positive professional recommendation.
If you have been harmed by harassment or sexual assault at work, contact a harassment lawyer in New York City right away to learn about your legal rights. Additionally, a counselor, therapist or crisis center can help you recover from the psychological trauma you have endured. RAINN or Safe Horizon can help you find a crisis center near you.
The NYC sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or contact us online.
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020
- New York State Employees Are Entitled to Paid Sick Leave - October 9, 2020
- How to Get Paid for Your Commute - October 1, 2020
- How Employees Can Take Paid Leave While Schools Are Closed - September 14, 2020
- George Floyd’s Death Opens Communications About Race at Work - June 19, 2020
- Is Your Employer Using Coronavirus Firings to Discriminate? - April 9, 2020
- “Uber Black” Drivers May Be Entitled to Millions in Unpaid Employee Wages - April 7, 2020