During a job interview, you do your best to be professional. When the interviewer crosses those professional boundaries, it may constitute sexual harassment. Sexual harassment in New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia include all unwelcome sexual advances or behaviors in the workplace, even when you are not technically an employee of that company. If you have been affected by sex discrimination or harassment while being considered by a position, contact a sexual harassment attorney in New York City.
During a job interview, the employer should not ask about:
In addition, the employer should avoid any physical contact other than a handshake. Hiring managers should not offer personal information about themselves, or ask the applicant to meet for dinner or drinks. The overall atmosphere should remain professional, focusing on the position available and whether the applicant is a good fit for the role. If the interviewer starts asking personal questions, commenting on your appearance, or requesting sexual favors, these are red flags. Don’t accept a position if you are made to feel uncomfortable during the interview process.
If you were sexually harassed or discriminated against because of your gender during a job interview, it may or may not be severe enough to file a harassment claim. A few offhand comments or off-color jokes might be unprofessional, but not necessarily illegal. If you feel you were denied a position because of your gender, or because you refused sexual advances, it may be grounds for legal action.
If you feel you have been the victim of workplace discrimination or sexual harassment in New York City, Miami, New Jersey or Philadelphia or if your employment rights have been violated, call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation. Our attorneys are available to review your claims and prepare a solid case to recover the damages and justice you deserved.
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022
- What Can You Do If Your Paycheck Is Incorrect? - January 14, 2022