How to Address Payroll Errors with Your Employer

What Can You Do If Your Paycheck Is Incorrect? | Wage & Hour Violations

Mistakes happen. Sometimes, payroll and human resources make errors. They may dock you a couple of hours or forget to issue a paycheck on time for some reason or another. The key is that they must correct their mistakes quickly or risk legal trouble. 

When your employer shorts your money in your paycheck or misses a paycheck entirely, you have a right to ask for it to be corrected. You also have a right to ask your employer to ensure it never happens again. However, what can you do if the problem continues or your employer retaliates against you for complaining of a payroll error? 

Read on to learn more about your rights when dealing with payroll errors within the workplace.  

How Can Payroll Errors Occur in the Workplace? 

Payroll errors happen. They can occur in any number of ways. Many times, there is an issue with data entry. Therefore, a person’s hours or hourly rate are misrepresented. Sometimes, payroll does not get run at all. Checks are late or direct deposits are withheld. These errors may be completely unintentional. However, it does not excuse the problems they can cause for employees.  

How Can Payroll Errors Affect Employees? 

Employees work for a paycheck. No matter how much they enjoy their job, they need to get paid. Their household depends on their salary to help pay bills, put food on the table, and buy necessities for themselves and their household.  

When payroll errors occur, employees can no longer pay their bills or take care of their household’s needs. It can create a severe economic hardship that can result in a downward spiral. The entire purpose of employee wage and hour laws is to protect employees so they are paid the amount of money they were promised on time.  

How Should Your Employer Correct Any Payroll Errors? 

If you are at the receiving end of payroll errors, you should inform your employer immediately. Let them know the exact problem you experienced. Provide your proof of payment (paystub) to show evidence of the error.  

Your HR team should rectify the problem immediately. If you were shorted money, your employer should issue you a check for the money owed to you as soon as possible. They can even cut you a live check to provide you with the additional money they owe you. If they owe you a full paycheck, they should be able to cut you a check within twenty-four hours to ensure your deductions are properly applied.  

In addition, it would be wise (although unnecessary) for your employer to also provide you with additional funds to cover any financial charges you incurred because your company made a payroll error.  

What Can You Do If Your Employer Refuses to Immediately Correct a Payroll Error? 

If your boss refuses to correct a payroll error quickly and efficiently, you have a right to seek legal help. A wage and hour employment lawyer can help you fight to get the compensation you are owed. They can help you get any back pay your employer owes you and recover your financial losses.  

Your employment lawyer will help you understand all your rights regarding payroll errors at work. They can help you determine the best course of action for your claim to ensure you receive the money and wages you deserve.  

Your employment lawyer can help you file your claim for lost wages and institute other remedies that may prevent anyone else in your office from becoming subjected to payroll errors.  

Furthermore, your employment lawyer can help you negotiate a settlement for your claim early in the process. With your attorney’s help, you can work to avoid a lengthy trial and settle the claim early. 

However, if your employer refuses to settle your claim, your employment lawyer will stand by your side, advocating for your rights.  

To Find Out Whether You Have a Case Worth Pursuing, Contact the Derek Smith Law Group Today. 

As an employee, you deserve to be paid a proper amount of money when you are told you will receive it. If your paycheck is short or you do not receive it, you have a right to demand your employee make it right. The Derek Smith Law Group in New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Miami, and Los Angeles can help you receive the money your employer owes you. Call us today at 800.807.2209 for a free consultation