Famous photographer Terry Richardson has been involved in a media storm amid numerous sexual harassment claims against him from several models he’s worked with. In March 2014, Richardson defended his behavior and his work, and denied any illegal or inappropriate behavior on his sets.
Richardson writes in a Huffington Post article titled “Correcting the Rumors”: “Enabled and protected by the freewheeling and often times anonymous nature of the Internet, people have become comfortable concocting hate-filled and libelous tales about my professional and personal lives. In writing this, I make a humble attempt at correcting these rumors, because I have come to realize that absent my voice in the conversation, all that remain are the lies.”
He defended his “provocative work” and acknowledges the controversy surrounding the sexually explicit imagery he has chosen to display. A fairly recent, well-known example is Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” music video, which Richardson directed. In the video, a nude Cyrus gyrates on a giant ball and chain.
“Like Robert Mapplethorpe, Helmut Newton, and so many others before me, sexual imagery has always been a part of my photography,” said Richardson.
A number of young models have alleged deplorable conduct from Richardson over the years. One 19-year-old model claimed Richardson took off all his clothes and requested oral sex during a photo shoot. Another young model alleges Richardson ejaculated in her eye, but felt too vulnerable and powerless to spurn his advances and say ‘no.’ Other models said they have walked off set, and Liskula Cohen says “quit modeling for a year” after a particularly egregious encounter with Richardson.
Sexual harassment in NYC
All working men and women have the right to a safe workplace. If you have been subjected to inappropriate sexual conduct in the workplace, contact an attorney who can defend your rights.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022