Famous photographer Terry Richardson has been involved in a media storm amid numerous sexual harassment claims against him from several models he’s worked with. In March 2014, Richardson defended his behavior and his work, and denied any illegal or inappropriate behavior on his sets.
Richardson writes in a Huffington Post article titled “Correcting the Rumors”: “Enabled and protected by the freewheeling and often times anonymous nature of the Internet, people have become comfortable concocting hate-filled and libelous tales about my professional and personal lives. In writing this, I make a humble attempt at correcting these rumors, because I have come to realize that absent my voice in the conversation, all that remain are the lies.”
He defended his “provocative work” and acknowledges the controversy surrounding the sexually explicit imagery he has chosen to display. A fairly recent, well-known example is Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” music video, which Richardson directed. In the video, a nude Cyrus gyrates on a giant ball and chain.
“Like Robert Mapplethorpe, Helmut Newton, and so many others before me, sexual imagery has always been a part of my photography,” said Richardson.
A number of young models have alleged deplorable conduct from Richardson over the years. One 19-year-old model claimed Richardson took off all his clothes and requested oral sex during a photo shoot. Another young model alleges Richardson ejaculated in her eye, but felt too vulnerable and powerless to spurn his advances and say ‘no.’ Other models said they have walked off set, and Liskula Cohen says “quit modeling for a year” after a particularly egregious encounter with Richardson.
Sexual harassment in NYC
All working men and women have the right to a safe workplace. If you have been subjected to inappropriate sexual conduct in the workplace, contact an attorney who can defend your rights.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at email@example.com.
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020
- New York State Employees Are Entitled to Paid Sick Leave - October 9, 2020
- How to Get Paid for Your Commute - October 1, 2020