PA Building Raided Amid Sexual Harassment Claims
Lackawanna County, PA – The statewide investigative grand jury looking into sexual assault allegations at a Pennsylvania county jail continues. On September 21, 2017, a raid of a busy county building with several attorney general vans, and police cruisers parked alongside, drew considerable attention from the public. Apparently, the state wanted to send a “loud and clear signal” that they were taking the reported sexual harassment seriously.
Just this last week, four high-ranking Lackawanna County employees were subpoenaed to testify at the end of October. The four employees recently subpoenaed were: Justin MacGregor, deputy director of human resources; Jeff Mando, chief information officer; Brian Jeffers, director of community corrections in the county’s work-release program; and Tim Betti, warden of the county jail. These four are not necessarily targets of the grand jury investigation, but may simply be witnesses.
Moreover, the investigation may grow according to former state attorney general Ernest Preate, “The scope and the breadth of this thing yesterday tells me as a former prosecutor that there’s more than sex here they’re looking at.”
Details of the search warrants also point to a widening net cast by the state police and state attorney general’s office. The search warrant demanded numerous records tied to 34 current and former jail officials and 26 current and former female inmates. Of the 34 jail officials, seven are named as defendants in a current civil case against the county for alleged sexual assault.
Records sought include staff disciplinary records, all correspondence involving correctional officers and inmates named in the warrant regarding sexual abuse and relationships, employees’ major assignment details, inmates’ dates of incarceration, and inmates’ medical reports.
The civil lawsuit that sparked the criminal investigation began in June 2016, a woman alleged she was sexually abused by six guards from 2007 to 2016. Later, three additional women later joined her case and implicated several other guards with allegations dating back to 1998. Additionally, the women’s sexual harassment attorney amended their lawsuit to include claims that the county prosecutor’s office concealed information from the first of two grand juries which investigated sexual abuse claims at the jail.
The experienced Philadelphia discrimination and sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC have years of experience litigating claims of sex discrimination and sexual harassment. Working together with our New York City attorneys, we have recovered millions on behalf of our clients who were discriminated against because of their religion. If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your religion, sex, or another protected status under the law, please give our attorneys a call at (800) 807-2209 for your free consultation.
Call today to schedule a FREE sexual harassment or employment discrimination legal Consultation in NY, NJ & PA with one of our top rated employment law or sexual harassment attorneys here at the Derek Smith Law Group. You can reach us online or by calling . Our New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia labor & employment law attorneys handle a variety of cases involving sexual harassment, racial discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, and other employment-related claims. We serve clients throughout New York, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. We also have offices in New Jersey and Philadelphia to serve you.
Make Sure Your Lawyers Have the Verdicts To Back Up Their Negotiations – Results Matter!
- $4.025 Million Jury Verdict Awarded in Employment Discrimination Case
- $2.5 million jury verdict awarded to sexual harassment victim
- $2.2 Million Jury Verdict Awarded to Race Discrimination Victim Against Well Known Glassware Company
- $1.6 Million Jury Verdict Awarded to Sexual Orientation and Religious Discrimination Victim
- Largest NY Verdict In Employment Law for 2012.
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022
- What Can You Do If Your Paycheck Is Incorrect? - January 14, 2022
- Can My Boss Make Me Sign a Non-Compete Agreement? - November 23, 2021
- Me Too: Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention - November 1, 2021