New York City is a hub of culture mixing, new opportunities, and a chance to start over fresh. Thousands of immigrants come to New York City every year to relocate their families, start a new career path, or get away from violence and strife back home. Tragically, immigrant workers’ rights are often trampled on by unscrupulous bosses in New York City who take advantage of vulnerable employees who do not fully understand their rights and fear losing their jobs. According to research data and worker testimonial, sexual harassment is a pervasive problem for immigrant workers not only in NYC but across the country.
In New York, many foreign women work in homes, as nannies or domestics. Others attend college here. Unfortunately, countless immigrant women live in fear. Fatou, a West African transport, worked as a home attendant when the son of the client allegedly tried to have sex with her. It was not the first time it happened.
“I am scared to talk to people, I do not want to lose my job,” said Fatou.
Back in 2012, Nafissatou Diallo, an African-immigrant domestic worker of former International Monetary Fund head Dominique Strauss-Kahn, won a large settlement in a Bronx court against her former employer for sexual assault.
Immigrant sexual harassment isn’t just a problem for New Yorkers. In a study done by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), 77% of Southern Latino workers surveyed said they had endured some type of sexual harassment on the job.
The New York sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group recently handled a case for Russian immigrant Tatiana Mironova, a worker who was abused while working as a bartender. The firm obtained a $2.5 million jury verdict on her behalf. After her boss assaulted her, both verbally and physically, he allegedly warned “You have no rights! You are an immigrant! Nobody will believe you anyway,” according to court papers.
If you are an immigrant working in New York City and you have been sexually harassed, do not be afraid to come to speak with an attorney right away. Despite what your boss may say, you have legal rights. You are entitled to a safe and healthy work environment.
The Employment Discrimination Attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City and the greater New York City area. We also have offices in Philadelphia, Miami, and New Jersey. For further information, please feel free to call us at 212-587-0760 for a free consultation.
- Are Nannies Protected Against Sexual Harassment at Work? - November 18, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Runs Rampant in the Hospitality Industry - October 26, 2022
- 7 Employment Discrimination Claims Starting as Microaggressions - October 6, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Attacks Hedge Fund Employees - September 23, 2022
- Working Moms: What Are Your Rights at Work? - August 12, 2022
- 8 Payday Rules Your Employer May Be Breaking - August 2, 2022
- The Effects the Gender Pay Gap has on Women - July 20, 2022
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022