I Was Sexually Harassed By My Boss – What Do I Do Next?
New York City workers are not immune to sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace. If you were verbally, emotionally or physically harassed by your boss, you may feel too ashamed, embarrassed or afraid to speak up. You might fear being fired or isolated by your peers. Now is the time to stand up for yourself with the help of a Manhattan attorney who can be your voice inside and outside of the courtroom.
Here are the steps to take if you have experienced harassment or discrimination by your New York boss:
- Let your boss know his or her conduct is inappropriate and unwelcome.
- Write down any instances of inappropriate behavior. Make sure to document the time and place the harassment occurred.
- Keep records of text messages, emails, images or anything else that proves your case.
- Become familiar with your company’s harassment and discrimination policies. Obtain a copy of any employee handbook.
- Speak with your boss’ supervisor or a Human Resources representative. Be certain to use all proper channels for reporting inappropriate behavior. If you follow protocol exactly, it can help you later on in a lawsuit.
- If the behavior continues or escalates, speak with an NYC lawyer who focuses in sexual harassment and employment law.
- If criminal conduct has a occurred, such as sexual assault or rape, contact the police.
- Your attorney can advise you on the proper steps to take. You can file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) who can help resolve your claim.
- If you cannot resolve the situation with the EEOC, you might file a lawsuit in court.
It is illegal to retaliate against someone for reporting sexual harassment, so do not be afraid to speak up. If you have experienced minor harassment, do not quit your job right away. Speak with HR or an attorney before you leave a job. If the harassment becomes particularly severe, or you feel your safety is in jeopardy, resign from your job and contact a lawyer.
The lawyers at Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in Manhattan and the greater New York City area. For further information, please feel free to call us at 212-587-0760 or toll-free at 877.469.5297 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.