You get an opportunity to work abroad at a great American corporation. However, while working there, you face inappropriate and unfair treatment — specifically sexual harassment. Who do you turn to for help? Do you have to file a lawsuit in the country where you are currently working? Do United States laws apply?
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is the federal law covering discrimination and sexual harassment against employees in the workplace. Most people do not know that this law protects not only employees in the United States but also an American employee working outside the United States for an American company or for a subsidiary that is controlled by an American company.
For example, a woman working in Paris for an American Company (or subsidiary of) may sue that American Company in the United States for discrimination or sexual harassment. Of course, we always try and settle your case prior to having to start the lawsuit, but having the ability to sue in American Federal Court and subjecting the American company to liability for discrimination or sexual harassment that occurred abroad gives us substantial leverage when it comes to negotiations. If we are unsuccessful at pre-suit negotiations, we could always start the lawsuit and litigate the case.
You should not consider yourself limited to the laws of the country in which you are working. However, it is very important to speak to a lawyer knowledgeable in this area. Our New York City lawyers offer assistance to sexual harassment victims working for American companies overseas and can explain your rights in more detail.
The lawyers at Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handle a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in Manhattan and the greater New York City area. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at