Do you look forward to going to work in New York City as a productive team member who achieves goals through mutual respect and teamwork? Or do you dread the next day because of a hostile atmosphere that stunts your creativity and growth?
A positive work environment can make the difference between success and failure for any organization. In New York City, with its vastly diverse population and competitive business community, there’s nothing more important. In fact, New Yorkers take it so seriously that they created a powerful city agency to eliminate employment discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace.
Inappropriate behavior by managers, coworkers or even clients can be directed at you or other team members. You may be working in a hostile work environment, whether in New York or elsewhere if you are forced to deal with:
- A boss who promises you a promotion if you have sex with him/her
- A client who thinks he’s entertaining when he tells sexually explicit jokes and your boss ignores it
- Colleagues who color their conversations with racial innuendo and reinforce stereotypes
- A touchy-feely co-worker who makes you feel uncomfortable when you work together
- A manager who never has a positive comment about the older workers on your team
Federal law, as well as New York State and New York City human rights laws, prohibit sexual harassment in NYC workplaces based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age or disability.
You have a right to safety, security, and equality at work. You don’t have to put up with harassment just to keep your job. If your workplace is hostile or abusive and you’re feeling there’s no way out, contact the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC for a free consultation at 800-807-2209.