After sexual harassment and gender discrimination accusations surfaced last month at his company, GitHub co-founder and chief executive Tom Preston-Warner has resigned. However, the investigation found the company innocent of any illegal practices.
Software designer and developer Julie Ann Horvath publically resigned from GitHub last month. She claims to have endured systematic sexism and gender inequality since she joined the startup in 2012. She says she was bullied by the Preston-Warner’s wife. Horvath alleges she was treated differently for being a woman, instead being judged on her work performance.
“The investigation found no evidence to support the claims against Tom and his wife of sexual or gender-based harassment or retaliation, or of a sexist or hostile work environment,” Chris Wanstrath, GitHub’s chief executive and a co-founder, wrote in a blog post. “However, while there may have been no legal wrongdoing, the investigator did find evidence of mistakes and errors of judgment.”
Horvath described the general atmosphere as an “Old Boys’ Club.” She said her personal character was being discussed in inappropriate situations and she was subjected to an aggressive atmosphere that favored men.
Gender discrimination and your company
Under the law, you cannot be treated differently in the workplace because of your sex or gender. You cannot be paid unequally, denied work benefits such as a raise or promotion and you cannot be fired because you are a woman or a man.
However, even though certain workplace behavior might be unseemly, it may not be enough to constitute a lawsuit.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at email@example.com.
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022