After sexual harassment and gender discrimination accusations surfaced last month at his company, GitHub co-founder and chief executive Tom Preston-Warner has resigned. However, the investigation found the company innocent of any illegal practices.
Software designer and developer Julie Ann Horvath publically resigned from GitHub last month. She claims to have endured systematic sexism and gender inequality since she joined the startup in 2012. She says she was bullied by the Preston-Warner’s wife. Horvath alleges she was treated differently for being a woman, instead being judged on her work performance.
“The investigation found no evidence to support the claims against Tom and his wife of sexual or gender-based harassment or retaliation, or of a sexist or hostile work environment,” Chris Wanstrath, GitHub’s chief executive and a co-founder, wrote in a blog post. “However, while there may have been no legal wrongdoing, the investigator did find evidence of mistakes and errors of judgment.”
Horvath described the general atmosphere as an “Old Boys’ Club.” She said her personal character was being discussed in inappropriate situations and she was subjected to an aggressive atmosphere that favored men.
Gender discrimination and your company
Under the law, you cannot be treated differently in the workplace because of your sex or gender. You cannot be paid unequally, denied work benefits such as a raise or promotion and you cannot be fired because you are a woman or a man.
However, even though certain workplace behavior might be unseemly, it may not be enough to constitute a lawsuit.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at [email protected]
- Why Don’t Most Employees Report Misconduct at Work? - July 20, 2021
- Get the Best New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near You - May 20, 2021
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020