Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel made headlines this past week when an absurd sex harassment lawsuit filed against him was made public. On May 16th, 2014, a Florida district court accepted a $25 million sexual harassment lawsuit against Manziel, allegedly filed by HLN contributor Samantha Schacher.
It is now confirmed by Schacher herself that the suit is “100% a hoax.” Even at the time of the filing, the court clerk said that the name on the filing could be an alias.
Johnny Manziel’s agent, Eric Burkhardt, is calling the restrainer order and lawsuit filed insanity.”Burkhardt said “[W]hat some people will do for publicity is embarrassing.”
The lawsuit claimed that Manziel has been harassing Schacher since February 14, 2013, calling her phone and sending nude photos and videos of himself. Court records said Schacher is seeking $25 in punitive damages for emotional distress. However, now that it is known the suit is a hoax, the case is likely to be thrown out.
Some believe serial filer Jonathan Lee Riches is behind the lawsuit.
False and frivolous lawsuits and your rights
If you have been the victim of sexual harassment in New York City, do not let news of a hoax lawsuit deter you from pursuing your own case. Thousands of victims successfully win judgments or settlements from their employers due to sexual harassment. Unfortunately, fake lawsuits devalue the pain and suffering actual victims have endured. Fortunately, a New York City sexual harassment lawyer will be on your side when you need emotional and legal support.
If you feel you have been the victim of workplace discrimination or sexual harassment in New York City, Miami, New Jersey or Philadelphia or if your employment rights have been violated, call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation. Our attorneys are available to review your claims and prepare a solid case to recover the damages and justice you deserved.
- Are Nannies Protected Against Sexual Harassment at Work? - November 18, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Runs Rampant in the Hospitality Industry - October 26, 2022
- 7 Employment Discrimination Claims Starting as Microaggressions - October 6, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Attacks Hedge Fund Employees - September 23, 2022
- Working Moms: What Are Your Rights at Work? - August 12, 2022
- 8 Payday Rules Your Employer May Be Breaking - August 2, 2022
- The Effects the Gender Pay Gap has on Women - July 20, 2022
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022