Melanie Alvarado, 24, is pursuing a sexual harassment complaint against Universal Business Solutions, Inc.’s CEO Abraham Thomas. New York sexual harassment attorney Derek Smith has filed a civil suit asking for a jury trial. The abuse was so egregious there are also criminal charges pending against Thomas in New Jersey.
Alvarado was just 21 when she started working for the copier company as a salesperson. According to court papers, during the course of her employment, she faced “numerous and on-going acts of sexual harassment,” perpetrated by Thomas. She consistently tried to thwart his advances, but the abuse was non-stop. He repeatedly propositioned her and offered to pay her student loans and housing expenses in exchange for sexual favors.
She says in her suit that she was required to go to a karaoke bar with Thomas and another employee he was sexually involved with — and he “slapped plaintiff’s buttocks” while they were there.
According to the suit, during one instance, Thomas took Alvarado in the backseat of his limousine. He allegedly sexually assaulted her and ripped her clothing. He then allegedly drove Alvarado by his mansion in New Jersey and said, “You see the house? You see the power I have? You see who you are messing with?”
After that incident, Alvarado claimed to be bed-ridden for months with anxiety and depression, according to the court record.
“We are going to be asking for as much as the jury is willing to compensate her for what she has gone through and is going through,” Derek Smith told News India Times. Alvarado is seeking damages including “reinstatement, back pay, front pay, all lost wages and earning capacity, punitive damages, damages for emotional distress, physical injuries, medical expenses, and attorney’s fees,” the complaint says.
If you or anyone you love has been the victim of sexual assault or harassment at work, speak with a well-qualified lawyer. You deserve to seek justice in a court of law.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation.
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020
- New York State Employees Are Entitled to Paid Sick Leave - October 9, 2020
- How to Get Paid for Your Commute - October 1, 2020
- How Employees Can Take Paid Leave While Schools Are Closed - September 14, 2020