Desperate for work and struggling to make ends meet for her family, Sherina Thomas overlooked some concerning red flags and accepted a receptionist position at Executive Offices in New York City. The New York City sexual harassment attorneys at Derek Smith Law Group are representing Ms. Thomas.
Thinking her daughter would work well as a model, Thomas replied to an ad looking for child models. According to the suit, when she arrived, she felt that David Shavorlian was far more interested in her than in employing her daughter. After allegedly making comments about her breasts, he offered her a receptionist position with the company. Because of financial realities, she accepted.
Despite the necessity of stable employment and rapid promotion to a managerial position, alleged relentless sexual harassment from her boss forced Sherina Thomas to leave Executive Offices in May of this year. Thomas claims that her boss, David Shavolian, forced her to accompany him to the bathroom while he urinated, fondled her breasts, made sexually aggressive comments and eventually offered her over a thousand dollars for oral sex, according to court records.
Sherina Thomas walked out of the job earlier this month and is now seeking unspecified damages. Neither Thomas nor Shavolian would comment when approached by news outlets. Thomas’s New York City sexual harassment attorney also declined to comment.
The New York City sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group urge all job seekers to pay close attention during interviews with potential employers. Any and all sexually provocative comments are immediate warning signs and can be grounds for a sexual harassment complaint. Contact an attorney if you believe an interviewer crosses the line.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in Manhattan and the greater New York City area. For further information, please feel free to call us at 212-587-0760 for a free consultation.
- Are Nannies Protected Against Sexual Harassment at Work? - November 18, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Runs Rampant in the Hospitality Industry - October 26, 2022
- 7 Employment Discrimination Claims Starting as Microaggressions - October 6, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Attacks Hedge Fund Employees - September 23, 2022
- Working Moms: What Are Your Rights at Work? - August 12, 2022
- 8 Payday Rules Your Employer May Be Breaking - August 2, 2022
- The Effects the Gender Pay Gap has on Women - July 20, 2022
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022