Dallas Texas – When recruit Rebecca Knutson started at the Dallas Police Department Academy, she didn’t sign up for sexual harassment. But, according to her complaint, she was subjected to inappropriate text messages, photographs, and a series of unwanted sexual advances. She also claims she faced retaliation when she complained.
Knutson also alleged her complaints were not taken seriously by the department. Knutson’s attorney is calling for a deeper investigation into the complaints.
“She was very uncomfortable, she was embarrassed she asked him to stop and he did not stop,” says Bob Gorsky, Knutson’s Attorney.
Police Chief David Brown issued a statement saying the academy staff conducted a review and “determined the behavior inappropriate, and counseled the involved recruits.” The chief also acknowledged that the accused recruit is the son of a current officer.
In a report issued by the National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP), sexual misconduct is the second most common type of misconduct committed by police officers. Tragically, female police officers still face sexism, harassment, and assault by their male counterparts. On most police forces, women make up only a small percentage of the staff.
If you are a police officer that has been sexually harassed in New York, New Jersey or Philadelphia speak with a sexual harassment lawyer today. You have rights. Don’t be afraid to fight back against the “Old Boys’ Club.”
The lawyers at Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handle a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in Manhattan and the greater New York City area. For further information, please feel free to call us at 212-587-0760 for a free consultation.
- Sexual Harassment and Retaliation Reach the New York Governor’s Office - August 4, 2021
- Top Reasons You Need an Attorney Review of Your Severance Agreement - July 29, 2021
- Why Don’t Most Employees Report Misconduct at Work? - July 20, 2021
- Get the Best New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near You - May 20, 2021
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020