Dallas Texas – When recruit Rebecca Knutson started at the Dallas Police Department Academy, she didn’t sign up for sexual harassment. But, according to her complaint, she was subjected to inappropriate text messages, photographs, and a series of unwanted sexual advances. She also claims she faced retaliation when she complained.
Knutson also alleged her complaints were not taken seriously by the department. Knutson’s attorney is calling for a deeper investigation into the complaints.
“She was very uncomfortable, she was embarrassed she asked him to stop and he did not stop,” says Bob Gorsky, Knutson’s Attorney.
Police Chief David Brown issued a statement saying the academy staff conducted a review and “determined the behavior inappropriate, and counseled the involved recruits.” The chief also acknowledged that the accused recruit is the son of a current officer.
In a report issued by the National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP), sexual misconduct is the second most common type of misconduct committed by police officers. Tragically, female police officers still face sexism, harassment, and assault by their male counterparts. On most police forces, women make up only a small percentage of the staff.
If you are a police officer that has been sexually harassed in New York, New Jersey or Philadelphia speak with a sexual harassment lawyer today. You have rights. Don’t be afraid to fight back against the “Old Boys’ Club.”
The lawyers at Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handle a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in Manhattan and the greater New York City area. For further information, please feel free to call us at 212-587-0760 for a free consultation.
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022
- What Can You Do If Your Paycheck Is Incorrect? - January 14, 2022
- Can My Boss Make Me Sign a Non-Compete Agreement? - November 23, 2021
- Me Too: Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention - November 1, 2021