Elliot Rodger murdered six people in Isla Vista, CA, citing his hatred of women and rejection of sexual advances as the reason for his killing spree. Since then, women across the country have been sharing their stories of experiencing sexism, harassment and sexual violence on Twitter, using the tag #YesAllWomen to show how pervasive sexism still is.
Women’s stories ranged from experiencing sexist behaviors, such as being called “darling” in a business meeting, to having been sexually assaulted. Writer and sex educator Kendall Mckenzie tweeted, “When women trust men, we’re naive idiots who should’ve known better. When women fear men, we’re hysterical, paranoid feminazis.”
Imani Gandy, the senior legal analyst at RH Reality Check also known as @AngryBlackLady, wrote: “#YesAllWomen never leave their drink unattended at a bar or a party.”
Critics are calling the movement “asinine,” claiming #YesAllWomen devalues what happened to the victims.
Sexual violence in the workplace
Sexual violence is one of the most underreported crimes in our society. Recent data suggests that fewer than one in six women report sexual violence to the police. The United States Department of Justice estimates that eight percent of rapes occur while the victim is working.
The violence of any kind is never acceptable. At the Derek Smith Law Group, we have helped countless women throughout New York, Florida, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania regain their lives after experiencing workplace harassment, sexism, and violence. Call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation.
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022
- What Can You Do If Your Paycheck Is Incorrect? - January 14, 2022
- Can My Boss Make Me Sign a Non-Compete Agreement? - November 23, 2021
- Me Too: Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention - November 1, 2021