Sexual harassment is one of those problems everyone knows exists, but not everyone wants to talk about it. Unfortunately, countless instances of sexual harassment do not get reported every year because people are afraid to speak out. They fear the consequences — or worse they don’t even know fighting back is an option.
Many reasons workers don’t speak up against sexual harassment include fear of:
- Retaliation — you might be afraid of losing your job, being demoted, or experiencing a loss in pay.
- Mistreatment — you could be in danger of further torment from your harasser or his/her allies
- Embarrassment — you may be scared to reveal humiliating details, or being “outed” as a victim
- Being the center of gossip — a risk you might take is people finding out about the harassment and talking about it around your workplace.
- Not being believed — you might anxious about being accused of making up lies or stories.
In addition to fearing the emotional and financial consequences of reporting sexual harassment, employees might just not know their legal rights. Perhaps you were not adequately trained, are unsure of reporting policies, or your employer does not have a proper complaint system in place.
You don’t have to fight back against sexual harassment alone
Just because there are reasons to not report sexual harassment doesn’t mean you should not take charge of your emotional well-being and professional future. A seasoned NYC sexual harassment lawyer is your ultimate ally. Your attorney can fight back when no one else can. Your lawyer can ensure you are not retaliated against, and receive proper compensation for your agony and torment.
The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in Manhattan and the greater New York City area. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at [email protected]
- Why Don’t Most Employees Report Misconduct at Work? - July 20, 2021
- Get the Best New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near You - May 20, 2021
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020