According to a recent report from an Albany newspaper, seven different women are expected to file a lawsuit against former state Assemblyman Dennis Gabryszak, D-Cheektowaga. Gabryszak resigned from his position in 2013 after numerous complaints of sexual harassment were brought to light.
In light of these issues of harassment and others that have caused many problems within the chamber in the last several years, the Assembly has begun to look at updating its policies. Another high-profile case occurred in 2012, when former Assemblyman Vito Lopez of Brooklyn settled in a $103,000 case after being accused of harassment by two different women.
According to the Assembly Speaker, Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan), the Assembly has an ethics committee, which has retained an agency to independently investigate the assembly to put an end to the sudden influx of harassment complaints against its members. The Assembly is also working on establishing better independent reporting practices for people who feel that they have been victims of any form of harassment. The agency working with the Assembly will help it to craft a brand new sexual harassment policy.
Details of the particular incidents involving these seven women have not yet been released, but it is clear that the case will be yet another public headache for the Assembly.
If you believe you’ve been the victim of sexual harassment at your workplace, it’s important that you report the incident as soon as possible and seek legal assistance. Contact the skilled New York sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC to learn more about your rights and options.
- Sexual Harassment Attacks Hedge Fund Employees - September 23, 2022
- Working Moms: What Are Your Rights at Work? - August 12, 2022
- 8 Payday Rules Your Employer May Be Breaking - August 2, 2022
- The Effects the Gender Pay Gap has on Women - July 20, 2022
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022