According to a recent report from an Albany newspaper, seven different women are expected to file a lawsuit against former state Assemblyman Dennis Gabryszak, D-Cheektowaga. Gabryszak resigned from his position in 2013 after numerous complaints of sexual harassment were brought to light.
In light of these issues of harassment and others that have caused many problems within the chamber in the last several years, the Assembly has begun to look at updating its policies. Another high-profile case occurred in 2012, when former Assemblyman Vito Lopez of Brooklyn settled in a $103,000 case after being accused of harassment by two different women.
According to the Assembly Speaker, Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan), the Assembly has an ethics committee, which has retained an agency to independently investigate the assembly to put an end to the sudden influx of harassment complaints against its members. The Assembly is also working on establishing better independent reporting practices for people who feel that they have been victims of any form of harassment. The agency working with the Assembly will help it to craft a brand new sexual harassment policy.
Details of the particular incidents involving these seven women have not yet been released, but it is clear that the case will be yet another public headache for the Assembly.
If you believe you’ve been the victim of sexual harassment at your workplace, it’s important that you report the incident as soon as possible and seek legal assistance. Contact the skilled New York sexual harassment attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC to learn more about your rights and options.
- Can My Boss Make Me Sign a Non-Compete Agreement? - November 23, 2021
- Me Too: Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention - November 1, 2021
- President Biden’s Executive Order, the COVID Vaccine, and Your Employee Rights - September 15, 2021
- Sexual Harassment and Retaliation Reach the New York Governor’s Office - August 4, 2021
- Top Reasons You Need an Attorney Review of Your Severance Agreement - July 29, 2021
- Why Don’t Most Employees Report Misconduct at Work? - July 20, 2021
- Get the Best New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near You - May 20, 2021
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021