Unfortunately, race discrimination is alive and well in New York City. After the attack on the World Trade Center, bias-related incidents occurred, particularly in regard to the Muslim, Arab and South Asian communities.
Under the New York City Human Rights Law, discrimination due to ethnicity or national origin is clearly illegal. As a protected class, these communities cannot be denied fair and equal treatment in terms of employment opportunities, job performance or housing.
Yet the people in these communities don’t feel that they’re protected from discrimination. Here are a few statistics from the survey conducted by the New York City Commission on Human Rights:
- 69 percent of the respondents felt they were the victim to at least one event of discrimination or bias-related harassment
- 31 percent believed that they did not experience discrimination after the World Trade Center attacks
- 79 percent indicated that their lives had been negatively affected by 9/11 in some way
- 17 percent of the respondents looked to government agencies or community organizations for support
- 83 percent of the respondents did not ask for help because:
- They were scared
- Believed nothing could be done
- Did not know who to contact or
- Thought the incident did not warrant reporting
The results of this survey will serve as the basis for future education and to promote all-inclusive community events. If you are a victim of racial bias, don’t be afraid to take action. Contact an experienced attorney who is familiar with the law and the melting pot that is New York City. Call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation.
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022