Over the past few years, the New York State Assembly has been involved in several sex scandals, costing hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars. Now, State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli on Monday said he an $80,000 contract to an Albany firm hired by the Assembly’s Ethics Committee. The contract is with Roemer Wallens Gold & Mineaux LLP for investigations to provide expertise on sexual harassment and retaliation policies.
More than $200,000 has already been paid out in two previous contracts to companies hired to handle sexual harassment claims.
The Assembly has encountered several sexual harassment allegations over the past few years from young, female aides. Assemblymen Vito Lopez, D-Brooklyn, and Dennis Gabryszak, D-Cheektowaga, Erie County, resigned because of the allegations. In 2012, a $103,000 settlement was paid out against Lopez. Gabryszak allegedly harassed multiple women in his office.
In addition, Assemblyman Micah Kellner had conducted inappropriate chats over the Internet with a legislative aide in 2009.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has required a more rigorous system in place to prevent and handle sexual harassment claims amidst the controversy.
What’s your company’s sexual harassment policy?
Knowledge is power when it comes to fighting back against inappropriate office behavior. Request a copy of your company’s anti-harassment policy. Become familiar with the procedures required for filing a grievance against a co-worker or supervisor. If you have issues with sexual harassment at work, speak with a New York lawyer who can help you resolve the issues, and obtain compensation if appropriate.
The New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation or email at email@example.com.
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020
- New York State Employees Are Entitled to Paid Sick Leave - October 9, 2020
- How to Get Paid for Your Commute - October 1, 2020
- How Employees Can Take Paid Leave While Schools Are Closed - September 14, 2020