After enduring months of sexual harassment on the job, which resulted in sexual assault, former bartender Tatiana Mironova won a $2.5 million verdict against her former boss. Attorney W. Gordon Kaupp, of the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC represented Ms. Mironova in the case.
Ms. Mironova, a Russian immigrant, won the award against Chef Pasquale Marino, of the posh celebrity hangout Da Marino Ristorante Italiano on West 49th Street. The case was tried in Manhattan federal court, and the verdict was issued on May 2, 2014.
According to the lawsuit, Marino repeatedly requested sex and dates from Ms. Mironova. She claims to have refused all his advances. Per court records, Marino then trapped Ms. Mironova in the restaurant’s office, fondled her breasts and ejaculated on her. In the second incident of assault, Marino lured Ms. Mironova to his home. Once there, he allegedly threatened to kill her, unzipped his pants and forced her to the floor.
According to Attorney Kaupp, Ms. Mironova’s testimony was heart-breaking and emotional.
Jurors found the chef liable for sexual harassment, sexual assault and fostering a hostile work environment.
“It’s been really, really painful,” said Mironova. “The whole experience was terrible. It was hell. But it’s over and I’m glad justice was served.”
About the Derek Smith Law Group
The employment Attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC focuses on sexual harassment and employment discrimination in New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia. Most of our legal cases involve claims and lawsuits that seek damages for sexual harassment, discrimination, and hostile work environment. Our sexual harassment attorneys not only have a wealth of knowledge regarding New York City, New Jersey and Pennsylvania State and federal laws – we become emotionally invested in every single client who walks through our door and it shows in our results.
- Why Don’t Most Employees Report Misconduct at Work? - July 20, 2021
- Get the Best New York City Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near You - May 20, 2021
- 6 Pregnancy Rights You Need to Know - April 20, 2021
- Sex for Rent Schemes Hit Low-Income Renters - February 3, 2021
- Know your rights: Can you get fired if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine? - February 2, 2021
- How to Find an Experienced Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 2, 2021
- 6 Ways to Take Time Off When Emergency Leave Expires - December 24, 2020
- 12 Ways Sexual Harassment Targets Work from Home Employees - November 19, 2020
- Black Women Golfing Leads to Race Discrimination - November 16, 2020
- 5 Signs to Identify Child Sexual Abuse - October 13, 2020