After enduring months of sexual harassment on the job, which resulted in sexual assault, former bartender Tatiana Mironova won a $2.5 million verdict against her former boss. Attorney W. Gordon Kaupp, of the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC represented Ms. Mironova in the case.
Ms. Mironova, a Russian immigrant, won the award against Chef Pasquale Marino, of the posh celebrity hangout Da Marino Ristorante Italiano on West 49th Street. The case was tried in Manhattan federal court, and the verdict was issued on May 2, 2014.
According to the lawsuit, Marino repeatedly requested sex and dates from Ms. Mironova. She claims to have refused all his advances. Per court records, Marino then trapped Ms. Mironova in the restaurant’s office, fondled her breasts and ejaculated on her. In the second incident of assault, Marino lured Ms. Mironova to his home. Once there, he allegedly threatened to kill her, unzipped his pants and forced her to the floor.
According to Attorney Kaupp, Ms. Mironova’s testimony was heart-breaking and emotional.
Jurors found the chef liable for sexual harassment, sexual assault and fostering a hostile work environment.
“It’s been really, really painful,” said Mironova. “The whole experience was terrible. It was hell. But it’s over and I’m glad justice was served.”
About the Derek Smith Law Group
The employment Attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC focuses on sexual harassment and employment discrimination in New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia. Most of our legal cases involve claims and lawsuits that seek damages for sexual harassment, discrimination, and hostile work environment. Our sexual harassment attorneys not only have a wealth of knowledge regarding New York City, New Jersey and Pennsylvania State and federal laws – we become emotionally invested in every single client who walks through our door and it shows in our results.
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022