The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) has been a piece of proposed legislation introduced into every Congress since 1994. The bill would prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity. In the 113th Congress on April 25th, 2013, the bill passed on the Senate (64-32) and is awaiting a vote in the House. The bill, however, has yet to pass.
If the legislation passes, it would make it unlawful for an employer, because of an individual’s sexual identity, to:
- fail or refuse to hire, to discharge, or to otherwise discriminate with respect to the compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment of such individual; or
- limit, segregate or classify employees or applicants in any way that would deprive any individual of employment or adversely affect an individual’s status as an employee.
Some conservatives and religious groups oppose the bill, while proponents argue that sexuality is not a choice, but a personal identity.
If approved, ENDA would become a federal law. Right now, state and city laws in New York offer protection for LBGT individuals in the workplace. The Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act (SONDA) is a New York State Law prohibiting employment discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation. Federal and local laws also prohibit sexual harassment in the workplace.
Even without the passage of ENDA, you still have rights and access to legal remedies as a victim of sexual orientation discrimination. An NYC lawyer can help you decide how to proceed if you have been harassed or discriminated against at work. The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC handles a multitude of cases that involve sexual harassment in New York City. For further information, please feel free to call us at 212-587-0760 for a free consultation.
- What Do You Need to Prove Wrongful Termination? - May 13, 2022
- Can You Get Fired from Work for Requesting a Disability Accommodation? - May 6, 2022
- The Effects of Gender Discrimination on Roles and Wages in the Workplaces - March 18, 2022
- Did Your Age Lead to a Layoff and Severance Package (40 or above)? - March 11, 2022
- How Do You Know If You Are Discriminated Against at Work? - March 2, 2022
- Find the Best Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Los Angeles - February 19, 2022
- 5 Ways Race Discrimination Goes Unnoticed in the Workplace - February 4, 2022
- What Can You Do If Your Paycheck Is Incorrect? - January 14, 2022
- Can My Boss Make Me Sign a Non-Compete Agreement? - November 23, 2021
- Me Too: Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention - November 1, 2021