Amidst a storm of controversy and complaints, the New York state Joint Commission on Public Ethics is set to unveil a new hotline that legislative staffer and tipsters can call to report sexual harassment. The state Assembly has garnered a lot of bad press over the past couple years over allegations of sexual harassment. Our sexual harassment lawyers in NYC urge anyone affected by sexual harassment to use appropriate reporting methods at their workplace.
In March, the state put aside $200,000 for new efforts to end harassment in the Assembly. Now, victims, witnesses, and individuals affected by sexual harassment can safely call this hotline without fearing repercussions or retaliation. Whistleblowers can also report corruption and other unfair practices.
“Improper conduct will not be tolerated,” said a state official familiar with the rollout. “And victims and witnesses will now have a place to go to safely file a complaint that will be fully investigated.”
In one case, former Assemblyman Vito Lopez was hit with a record $330,000 fine after the ethics commission found he sexually harassed at least eight women in his office. Another case involves former Democratic Assemblyman Dennis Gabryszak. A woman who used to work for him claims she wanted to report being sexually harassed by Gabryszak to Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver but felt it would be pointless after he was accused of covering up allegations against Lopez.
If you feel you have been the victim of workplace discrimination or sexual harassment in New York City, Miami, New Jersey or Philadelphia or if your employment rights have been violated, call us at 800-807-2209 for a free consultation.
- Are Nannies Protected Against Sexual Harassment at Work? - November 18, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Runs Rampant in the Hospitality Industry - October 26, 2022
- 7 Employment Discrimination Claims Starting as Microaggressions - October 6, 2022
- Sexual Harassment Attacks Hedge Fund Employees - September 23, 2022
- Working Moms: What Are Your Rights at Work? - August 12, 2022
- 8 Payday Rules Your Employer May Be Breaking - August 2, 2022
- The Effects the Gender Pay Gap has on Women - July 20, 2022
- What is the Purpose of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? - June 30, 2022
- NYS ADULT SURVIVORS ACT: Adults Can Now Sue for Sexual Assault No Matter How Many Years Ago It Happened - June 3, 2022
- Can Men Become the Victims of Sexual Harassment at Work? - May 26, 2022