Kelly O’Connell, Esq.
Florida & New York Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Email: Kelly@dereksmithlaw.com | Phone: 212-587-0760
College: Nova Southeastern University, B.S.
St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D.
Certificate in Intercultural Human Rights
- Sexual Harassment
- Employment Law
- Civil Litigation
State Courts: New York, Florida
Federal District Court:
Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, Middle District of Florida, Southern District of Florida
While in law school, Kelly was an executive editor of the Intercultural Human Rights Law Review, a legal journal that focuses on advancing global equality. Additionally, she concentrated her studies on human rights law and served on the executive boards of both the Black Law Students Association and the Caribbean Law Students Association. Kelly was also the recipient of the Law Global Scholarship and Book Award for Excellence in Rule of Law.
Throughout Kelly’s law school career and various legal internships, she has gained ample knowledge in the areas of civil litigation and discrimination law, including assisting in a multi-million-dollar race and gender discrimination case.
It is this experience and passion for helping others that Kelly brings to her practice as a lawyer. Attorney O’Connell brings this skillset with her to the employment law firm of the Derek Smith Law Group to help New York & Florida employees, in both Federal and State courts, in the areas of employment discrimination, sexual harassment, and contract disputes.
As a zealous legal advocate for justice, Kelly believes in a hands-on approach and always working diligently on the details of a client’s case from inception through the solution, to ensure the best possible legal result.
When not representing her clients, you may find Kelly on the beach, running through Central Park, or enjoying the great outdoors.
In The News:
- Female former NYPD cadet was ‘encouraged to have sex with instructors to pass the training and was physically bullied and terminated after she refused
- Former Police Academy recruit claims sexualized atmosphere at NYPD training facility
Blog posts by Kelly:
- Dove: Racially insensitive or downright stupid?
- Gucci $10M Sexual Harassment Suit
- LGBT News: New NYC Unity Project
- Celebrity chef’s Drunken Sexual Harassment
- The University of Rochester Professor Accused of Sleeping with his Students
- Philadelphia’s 1st African American Statue
- Hugh Hefner old sleaze or liberator of women?
- Federal Court sides with Pro-LGBTQ Rights
- Anthony Weiner: 21 months in prison for sexting
- Chiseled Fit 30 Year Old Man Too Old to Be A FDNY Firefighter
- Pennsylvania Comes Down Hard on Accused Teacher
- Discrimination at Rowan College at Burlington County?
- PA Catholic Diocese Settles Sexual Harassment Claims
- Pennsylvania Town Unlawfully bans Mosque
- Three Strikes, Now PA Cop Behind Bars
- Gov. Wolf introduces “It’s On Us PA” Legislation
- Philly’s Sexist Tech Scene
- Estee Lauder, Aren’t Dads Parents Too?
- PA Firefighter Files Sex Discrimination Suit
- Philly School District Flagged for Unlawful Discrimination
- Cancer should not result in termination!
- Title IX: Trump’s new era of sexual assault
- Miss America Pageant or a “Nasty Woman Protest?”
- NY Court Rules for Fired Yoga Therapist
- “Hope” for Equal Pay for Female Athletes?
- General Robert Lee v. Reve. Robert Lee
- Do independent Do independent gig contractors have rights? Yes?
- War on Trump’s Transgender Military ban
- Yoga Bikram’s sexual harassment saga continues
- Amy Schumer on Equal Pay for woman
- Will Louis C.K. Address sexual misconduct allegations?
- Goldman Sachs Discriminated against Black & Jewish Executive Employee
- National Origin Discrimination
- Threatened Men More likely to sexually harass women
- Rastafarians: Religious Discrimination
- Jersey Shore lifeguard wins age-discrimination suit
- Taylor Swift: sexual harassment testimony
- Broken promises to Florida’s LGBTQ community
- Religious Discrimination: The “Fight” against mandatory flu vaccines
- Breastfeed under New York State Law
- Growing discrimination towards Muslim Americans
- Pregnancy Discrimination in 2017
- Google’s “man-ifesto” against women in tech
- Bias against women: Not even attorneys are safe!
- The End of Affirmative Action?
- America’s Parks: Great place to visit, but not to work