How to Evaluate a Harassment Attorney
You have been the victim of harassment. What should you do? Your first move should be to find an lawyer who is experienced and knowledgeable about the legal issues surrounding harassment. Here is some advice from the New York City Harassment attorneys at the Derek T. Smith Law Group, PLLC on how you might evaluate an NYC harassment attorney.
Get Attorney Referrals
- Put together a list of competent and qualified attorneys in NYC by talking with friends and peers for a referral. Contact business acquaintances or professionals in your field who might be aware of similar incidents of harassment.
- Look online to find harassment attorneys or for information about evaluating their qualifications. You can use a referral service located on the Internet to begin your search. There are even online services that match up clients with lawyers. Don’t underestimate the power of searching online for qualified harassment attorneys.
- Contact the New York State or City branch of the American Bar Association for a referral to lawyers in the area. Visit the law firms’ websites for background information to ensure they specialize in laws surrounding harassment.
Making Contact with a Harassment Lawyer
- Arrange initial phone interviews with a short list of candidates during which you can ask about their experience and their rate of compensation. Ask if they offer a free initial consultation to discuss the specifics of your case.
- Review the information collected from your conversations with friends and business associates, your online research and your phone interviews.
- Make appointments with several attorneys who you think can deal with your legal issues in a timely manner, who have a good track record of supporting their clients and whom you feel comfortable working with and trust.
- Come to your initial consultation prepared with all necessary documentation and most especially, all of the questions you have about your lawsuit and the legal process on harassment issues. You should include questions about different options available to you as well as the length of time one can typically expect for a case to be successfully resolved should you go to court.
Selecting a Harassment Attorney
- At the minimum, you should seek a free consultation with at least two lawyers or legal advisers regarding the specific circumstances of your case of harassment.
- If you come away from one of your meetings with a sense that you are dealing with a professional lawyer who has your best interests at heart and who understands the harassment you have experienced, you have found someone who can represent you in a New York City sexual harassment or discrimination lawsuit.