New York City, New Jersey & Philadelphia Job Harassment Attorneys
Derek T. Smith Law Group, PLLC provides representation in cases of employment discrimination and harassment at work. Our legal team of attorneys, paralegals and advisers can help you identify and respond to workplace harassment. The Derek T. Smith Law Group, PLLC harassment lawyers outline what you should know about harassment law in New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia. Our attorneys run the full range of employment law cases such as race or ethnicity, gender, pregnancy or maternity, religion and age discrimination.
New York, New Jersey & Philadelphia harassment and discrimination law in the workplace
Office harassment should not be tolerated, and smart companies develop effective employment policies that address worker complaints or grievances. Still, harassment can and still does occur at work, and employees have rights under New Jersey, Philadelphia & New York harassment laws. What qualities distinguish employment harassment?
Types Of Harassment In The Workplace
Under New York City, New Jersey & Philadelphia harassment law, workplace harassment is recognized in a number of different forms:
- Racial harassment. Harassment of a racial or ethnic variety occurs when an individual is targeted because of his or her race or ethnicity. Forms of harassment can include offensive language or actions specifically intended to make the individual feel degraded because of their race or ethnicity.
- Gender harassment. Harassment that is gender or sexual orientation based involves unwanted words, actions, or gestures of a sexual nature that make the individual feel uncomfortable. In cases of sexual harassment, the perception of the victim that he or she is being sexually harassed is the determining factor rather than the intentions of the harasser.
- Pregnancy or maternity harassment. It is now unlawful to discriminate or harass a worker based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. Women affected by pregnancy must be treated in the same manner as other applicants or employees with similar abilities or limitations.
- Religious harassment. An individual faces religious harassment if psychological or physical harassment is used against him or her because of the specific religion he or she practices. At times, this can occur alongside harassment due to race or ethnicity.
- Age harassment. Federal law protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older from employee harassment based on their age. The legal protections prohibit harassment against a person because of his or her age with respect to any condition or privilege of his or her employment.
Talk to an attorney today
- Sexual Harassment
In a person’s workplace or place of employment, NYC, New Jersey & Philadelphia harassment laws and policies exist to protect employees from offensive words and conduct that create a hostile work environment. If you feel like you are the victim of workplace harassment and your employer has not been responsive at addressing the behavior, contact Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC NYC, New Jersey or Philadelphia law offices for experienced advisement on harassment law. Our attorneys can protect your rights and help stop the harassment.